Citation Options

Pay Fine
You may pay the fine and court costs for violation(s) you are charged with in person, by mail, online, or by phone. Methods of payment are limited to Visa, Master Card, Discover, American Express, money order, check, and cash. Please make money orders or checks payable to the City of Selma.

Moving Violations
All moving violations, such as speeding and disregarding a stop sign, are reported to the state. The State of Texas assigns points to convictions for moving violations and various other violations. An explanation of the driver points system can be found at the 
Texas Department of Public Safety website. You can also view a list of violations that add points to a Texas driver record.

Options for Avoiding a Conviction for a Moving Violation
The options listed below do not apply to a holder of a commercial driver’s license.

Driving Safety Course (DSC)
This option only applies to certain violations. Choosing this option will allow you 90 days to complete the course and request a certified copy of your driving record from the Department of Public Safety in Austin. You can prevent the citation from going on your driving record by successfully completing this course. The violation for which you have been charged can be dismissed, if you qualify.  For further information, see the 
Driving Safety Course section of this website.

Deferred Disposition (Probation)
This is another method for you to have your violation dismissed to prevent the offense from appearing on your driving or criminal record. You are required to pay the state court costs and post a cash bond in the amount of the special expense fee at the time of your request.

You also may be required to take a driving safety course as a condition of your deferred disposition.  State law prohibits the deferred disposition option if a violation occurs in a construction zone when workers are present.

Request a Trial
You may plead not guilty and request a trial. You have the right to a jury trial or you can waive that right and have your case heard before a judge.